Monday, March 26, 2018

Goodbye Facebook!


I have been a heavy user of Facebook. I've had a love/hate relationship with it for almost ten years. As I work from home, I don't have those office colleagues you can turn to and have a light bit of banter, and Facebook was a kind of substitute. It also seemed a good way of displaying my work, as I am pretty terrible at marketing.

However.

I've known for a long while that Facebook has not been good for me, in much the same way that it isn't good for a lot of other people. I tried using it only for my work page, but once I'd logged in, a half-hour would evaporate and I'd find I'd been staring at gifs of dancing burgers, or whatever the current meme is.

The recent scandal about Cambridge Analytica is both shocking and unsurprising. I downloaded my Facebook data and found a list of advertisers who had my contact details. I read the profile Facebook had compiled of me, my interests, beliefs and political leanings. When any of my Facebook friends accessed an app, some of that information would have leaked out.

All in all, I think it's time to leave Facebook. I'll be blogging far more regularly, if you'd like to follow this blog. I'll be posting times of markets, news of retailers who stock my work, and new and old designs. You can see all my designs on my website, and contact me that way too. You can also contact me on Twitter.

Thanks to everyone who followed my Facebook page. I really appreciate your interest & support, it has meant a huge deal to me.

Sheena

4 comments:

  1. I am really sorry to see you go. I have loved looking at your work and love your work in general. Still, I will follow your blog, so all is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! I hope the blog is more interesting - there's a bit more scope on a blog for talking about where the ideas for the pictures come from and that kind of thing.

      Delete
  2. Yay ... am now following your blog xxx (phew!!!)

    ReplyDelete