Friday, October 21, 2011

October is for knitting!


https://www.baglady-designs.com/art-prints/knitting-spider-print

True devotees will tell you that any season is knitting season, but October has an inviting little nip in the air that especially recommends woolly pastimes. If you are planning on giving knitted gifts for Christmas, you're probably already waving needles about and counting stitches. Knitty.com is filled with browsable treats like these pumpkins:


and some really strange things, including a knitted umbrella!

You can combine knitting with your love of hens (for who amongst us doesn't love hens?) by knitting jumpers for the featherless urchins of Little Hen Rescue.

For those of you whose idea of a wild night is knitting while listening to radio plays or audiobooks, I can tell you that Dublin libraries has a copy of Paul Magrs 'Never the Bride' on cd, which is seasonably Halloweenish.

Here is a blog all about knitting, and it includes details of the charity Knit-a-thon which has been going on since September.

Why all this talk of knitting? Well like many people, I was forced to knit a doll's dress in primary school. It never got finished. For years I could still see it sometimes, taunting me. But earlier this year I shelved my resentment and bought some needles. I already had wool. I don't know why.
Anyway I knitted myself a really cool pair of woolly sleeves. These were necessary because shops (bear with me on this one, it's a bit like particle physics) shops sell woolly dresses, with short sleeves. Now. If it's warm, you won't want to wear a woolly dress, will you? And if it's cold, you'll need long sleeves. But yet, there they are. And yes, I bought one of these dresses. I think I imagined a kind of not-warm-not-cold day, dry and kind of autumnal, when it would be perfectly comfortable to wear it. Of course Ireland has a weather system which is conscious, and which plots against us. So that perfect day was never going to happen. Anyway I've knitted the sleeves now, and in doing so I have exorcised the ghost of that unfinished doll's dress, and discovered a love of knitting. Everyone I know is getting a scarf for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment